Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have two questions XJ8 2002 3.2 Jaguar I have lost my radio

I have two questions
XJ8 2002 3.2 Jaguar
I have lost my radio code and the radio is asking for it, my VIN is SAJAC13L62KF55697
XKR 1999 Jaguar
I have an intermittent fault with the convertible hood not operating. It quite often says when I come to it 'Hood not latched' and the hood will not open, If I do some unusual things like reverse the car very slowly and the hood not latched sign goes off and I can open the hood, I put the gear stick into drive and the hood not latched goes out and the hood opens, I drive forward at more than 12 miles per hour and the hood not latched goes off and the hood opens, I put the car into drive and this also seems to work sometimes all of these do not work, however if I drive about 2 or 3 miles it works anyway, I have never been total unable to open the hood but I would love to just be able to do it in the first place. If I have been for a run it nearly always works when I get home. I have a few comments to help your deliberations
1) I have a spare body processor module with the same part number, can I try just replacing the old one with the spare, remove plug, plug in alternative spare or is there a lot more to it, I feel replacement might solve the problem.
2) I believe the actual micro switch in the top of the screen is working properly just the signal is missed by the processors and the 'hood not latched' appears.
3} I have had the earthing points checked and they seem good.
4) I have considered finding the two wires which transmit the hood latching and fitting a manual switch to ensure the signal is correct for the processor but do not really like that solution as I will have to switch the extra switch each time I use the hood.
5) The hood switch by the J selector has been replaced with a new one and no change

I would appreciate your comments, though I realise the problem is not straight forward.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to wait a little longer but if you are having too much difficulty finding within the next few days then please cancel the question. Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name isXXXXX happy to help you - Sorry to see you have had a wait.

Re the radio - please do the following and that should work for you -

Have the Ign On - and the radio On..

Press and hold the buttons - Simultaneously... ">>" "PTY" "A.MEM" .... after a couple of seconds or so, the radio should come on ok.

As for the roof problems- usually its the micro switch - or, the latch not working fully / properly as it should.. so do double check there. Too, it can be the mechanism that works the roof that is seizing / jamming - causing the hold up as it were - and hence what you have. This can happen especially if the roof isn't used a lot. In any of the reasons above - movement of the car / vibration can alter it.

But - if you rule out all as above, you should change the module as you have one- it should work fine just fitted. Let me know how you go, or if you need anything more at all..

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for your response, the information about the XKR is very useful and it will be helpful in finding a solution.

I do have a problem with your advice Radio XJ8 about pressing switches on the radio, I do not have a button labelled PTY on my dash, I suspect it might be because my car has Sat Nav and the buttons may be different. My buttons read, RPT,NAV,CD,TAPE,AM_FM,A-MEM,TA across the bottom with a telephone symbol and MR on the next row up on the right hand side beneath the number pad, Also the screen now says "Please Wait" and it has been some hours with this display being unchanged and no radio working, the phone in the arm rest has seemed to set itself up but the radio is still not working, the radio and the phone do not work as far as sound etc. is concerned, any help would be appreciated, everything was working before the battery was disconnected. I did disconnect the battery again to see if everything would reset but it just comes back to life saying "PLEASE WAIT"

Thanks for any help.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply..

Ok--re the radio issue, the reason it now says Please Wait, is because too many , cumulative, incorrect code entry attempts have been made.. To get it out of that mode - ready to take a code again, you have to leave the radio powered up - and - uninterrupted.. that means - do not switch the key off ( have it in the first position so the radio will stay powered ).. You must not even start the engine - any interruption will re start the timer.... the time it takes to come out of wait mode can be several hours so you need to plan a time you can leave it as above... When its ready - it will come asking for the code again - at which time you can switch off or enter the code if you then have it.

Now - to get the code, the bypass I gave you isn't going to work on that exact one then Im afraid with what you have told me above - there are several different types Im sorry, you have one that will need the exact code.

To get the code, there are different ways- Quite honestly, the easiest and quickest way is to give a local dealer a ring who can get it for you - you would need to give them the cars VIN - so have that when you call.. some make a small charge - a lot dont..

The only other way is to remove the radio and get the serial number off the set, then any of the online computer programs can be used to get the code that way - but its a bind having to get the set out - which is why really its favorable to just make a call using the Vin as above...

So I hope the above all helps you further.. If you need anything at all further, do get back to me - Im always happy to help further if at all needed..

... >> . Please do click on the "OK ratings" system for me at this point - Thank you kindly.

Nb - you can get back to me at anytime you might wish or need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out -

Very Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Your answer is clear and helpful and I would hope now to be able to solve the problem eventually, so will be able to give you an excellent rating as you have helped me a lot, thanks for the offer for me to come back again, I may do so in the future but will leave it for now, thanks Paul

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Paul..

Thank you for your reply... Im very pleased to have been able to help you...

I hope all goes well for you - and yes, you are welcome back anytime at all..

..... Per the way justanswer works Paul -- I do just need you to now click on the OK / excellent ratings for me now at this point please as thats how Im credited for helping you ..

So if you would do that now for me - and I thank you in advance for doing that..

Very best rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert