Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I jus t got a 2010 XJ V6. It has the typical diesel rattle

Customer Question

I jus t got a 2010 XJ V6. It has the typical diesel rattle on start-up from cold which almost dies away at operating temp but still has an underlying rattle/rumble thereafter which seems to be rev related. I've taken it back a couple of times to the dealer with no real explanation other than ' the computer analysis checks out ok '
Do you have any suggestions ?
D Woodward
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if you've got a lot of combustion noise / diesel rattle then I'd 1st consider a bottle a injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged up nozzle will produce poor combustion and hence the noise

if this doens't help then it could be a injection timing issue so I'd check over the cam timing sensor connector and wiring for damage / corrosion and repair / clean as required

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your reply re the noise. Is a certain level of 'rumble' to be expected from this engine and if it is injection timing problems would there be black exhaust smoke, which is not present ?
D W
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello David

its quite a high power output so yes you do tend to get more diesel noise compared to others so its never going to be as quiet as some units

and if the injection timing was wildly out then yes you'd get a lack of power and black smoke

but I'm thinking that a corroded connection can just increase the resistance a bit to skew the timing enough to give some 'rattle'
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that, is the timing sensor connection something that I could easily locate and attend to or, as a 'non techy' should I leave it to some-one with specialist knowledge ?

I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I won't be taking any action for a couple of weeks but, I do thank you for your advice this far.

David Woodward

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello David

the cam timing sensors ( ther'e one per bank) are on the end of the cam covers at the front of the engine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O K, Matt,

Thanks' again for all your advice. I'll take a look for the sensors when I get back off holiday and let you know the outcome ?

Regards,

DW

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem David

just get back to me on this post