Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

S type shuts down while driving

while driving my S type all the electrics go off for 20 seconds and the car shuts down then it all comes back on

in addition the climate control does not work you get heat but no control of the temperature

a display comes on saying the hand brake is broken and you need to go to a service center.

I had the Jaguar people look at it but all they did was unplug the battery and then replug it to "re set" the system which seemd to work but it didn't

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal

Thank you for asking.

I have had NO response thus far from Just Answer until your letter so-- yes a response would be a very good thing.

If it is not possible then please let me know and I will cancel my order.

I do very much appreciate your contact.

All the Best

Robet Rose

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help/ advise...

Can I just ask - when you say "all the electrics" go off - and the car shuts down... exactly what / which electrics go off....?

Are there any electrics left on when this happens - and of so - exactly which?

Then - when all comes on again - does it just start up and away as normal?

Kind Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike!

Thanks for answering.

ALL of the electrics means everything- including - well everything and the engine shuts down - all this happens for maybe 10 seconds then it all comes back on.

I don't know if it is connected but the heating is either on or off with no temperature control as well- it all happened at the same time.

COULD the handbrake release being faulty cause this?

It was the first thing that happened a beeping came on and in the end I had to disconnect the battery and re- code the electrics to get it to stop.

Now I make sure the hand brake is off before driving and on again when stop.

does any of this help Mike?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Bob -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

On the face of it , I would say that no , the handbrake system would not have anything to do with this - but - thats 99%.. there is a chance - I'll come back to that ..

Can I just ask further then - how regular an occurrence is this ? and -- has it happened since your doing as say and making sure the handbrake is off before driving?

Im looking for something by way of a short - or, a coincidence...

Plus -- Have you had any tests / checks of any sort done at all thus far?

Thank you Bob -

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike You are terrific!

Whether it gets fixed or not!

I had it checked at the Jaguar place in Genova Italy not far from my place.

He just disconnected the battery and reconnected it and- for some time- It worked. Since I have been doing the handbrake on and off thing it has been working fine but it has only been a few days thus far.

The heating/Air stopped working when the Jag humans did the on and off thing with the battery. Mike I realise how difficult it must be to even TRY to figure this out in a letter and again I truly thank you- frankly any ideas would be helpful as I will probably need to take it to the Jaguar place in Milan where they have very good mechanics but if I have SOME idea what is going on-- it can only help.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Bob..

Well first - Thank you for the accolade !

Ok - the reason I asked about the handbrake is, because there is that small percentage chance that there is a fault developing in its circuitry - and a short ( electric ) would / could, feasibly cause anything like that - so - I have to say on that one.. keep that in mind and see how you go with it. If its going to play up , on the handbrake side, you will soon get a message on the dash to say so - then that can be checked out fully...

Re the heater business - its a little bit of a worry that - in that that shouldn't have happened - and it can depend on just how the battery is undone / re done etc.. It should be done with the heater etc - and ign OFF - as on reconnection it can cause a surge that then causes problems with odd electrics etc. Disconnection and reconnection of the battery is a "done thing" these days to re boot the electronics... so they didn't do anything wrong in that respect - but I would suggest you try it again.. I'll come back to that in a mo...

For you to be losing all the electrics such as you mention - and that its cutting the engine out does actually tend to narrow things down a lot .. because for this to be happening, inc the important part, that of cutting the engine, means you are getting a "main" power / circuit loss at source ( or in that source circuit ).. and that being , either at the main battery / earth circuit , or ignition circuit. ( Of course, if you have a wiring circuit fault somewhere else - such as we mentioned the electronic hand brake etc could get this - in that a wiring loom fault / shorting etc - can affect any odd / given circuit... but - I doubt this at this stage anyway.

What I would suggest given the above - the fact that you lose the electrics and the engine, you need to be checking first, the integrity of the actual battery connections - to the battery poles.. including, the integrity of the connections where the cabling goes into the "connectors" on the battery. I would suggest have the engine running - while you wiggle hard with your hands, the cables where the connect to the battery - and where they go into the connectors as above.. If you get any cut out / fluctuation etc - you know you are on the right track.

Too - check the connections where the red cables ( pos ) connect at the starter motor and alternator ( thats where the terminate from the battery ) and check for any cable damage... any chaffing along the way.. If it runs on the engine ( or any metal part ) it will cause exactly as you have )...

Check the battery Neg cable as well - check its length for damage as above and , check where it connects to the body - and - where it then goes on to connect ( the earth strap ) between the body and the engine / transmission.. Any , faults as above will cause what you are experiencing.

IF you find nothing wrong as above - then you need to be looking now at the fuse / relay boxes - checking the main relay for its connections - inc the "connections" of the large / main fuses - I suggest remove them - clean the contacts and refit.. and retry.

If nothing is found as above.. then you need to be checking the Ign circuit t - that is, from the fuse box back right up to and inc the ignition unit. You can get bad connections on that ign circuit multi plugs and where they connect to the fuse box too... Also, you can get a faulty ignition unit ( under the cowl where the keys go in )...

One way or the other, if its carefully worked on / worked through checking as above, Im sure you will find / cure this issue. I know its a painstaking thing to have to do - but there is no "it will be this / that " answer Im afraid - I just have to outline the things to work through to be able to find the fault...

So thats the way on this one Bob - by all means let me know how you get on-

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>> ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert