Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

S type 3.0 2001 service done a week ago dsc fault and traction

Customer Question

S type 3.0 2001 service done a week ago dsc fault and traction & airbag light shows off & on same day after the service done. Week later acid smell in the car i check the battery is very hot.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like you to close and refund my money because I have no other question than the one already asked and I don't get answer for it.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE... Im happy to help you with this.

Im sorry to see you have had a wait on this particualr question -

As there has been a delay though - please just let me know if you do still need help with this - if so, we can carry on --

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From my own knowledge I don't have any information to to give maybe you can tell me what type of information you need.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply - Thats fine no problem.. I was just wondering if anything had been done / checked so far...

If not - then the issue with the symptoms you are describing - are very likely coupled with the smell you mention - and the hot battery. This is all indicative of the alternator / system over charging the battery.

The charge rate needs to be tested with a meter at the battery - it should show circa 14.6 or so.. volts. If its higher as I suspect given what you have described - ie - when tested - and the revs of the engine raised as tested - it will be seen to rise to 15 volts plus.... this indicates either the pulley on the alternator is faulty or - and more likely , the alternator itself has failed - not switching the voltage off at 14.6 as it should - hence, you get the smell - this is a boiling battery - so you get the acid burning smell ( and the hot battery ).. This in turn is pushing higher than spec voltage through the systems / computers etc -and causing your system faults as you mention.

So - this needs attention sooner rather than later - if you have to drive it to a garage - switch on all the electrics that you can as you drive - this will help to dissipate / use up the voltage so to speak ... rather than it going through the systems. Its not ideal - but it does help...and will be ok if the garage is close. Otherwise - you should have it recovered.

Some alternators can be repaired - by having a new voltage regulator fitted - ( thats whats gone - ) or, a new replacement alternator complete.

The battery should be ok after the alternator is repaired but it should be checked for level - and tested to be sure .

So thats the way forward on this one now to get this fixed / sorted out for you.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.