Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a convertible jaguar Xkr 1997. It hasnt been driven

I have a convertible jaguar Xkr 1997. It hasn't been driven since 2008. Can any damage be caused to the engine? Also Can anyone recommend a reputable garage close to Greenford, Middlesex?I've also had the door hinges changed to lambo door hinges. The person who converted them done a poor job. I will be grateful if someone can recommend a garage that specialises in lambo door conversions.

Paul
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

any car thats been sat for this long may need considerable work as unless the engine has been regularly started it may have seized pistons - so 1st thing to check is will the engine turn over by hand -

Also worth draining off the engine and gearbox oil and filling with fresh as these too will have degraded over time.

Also check the condition of any auxiliary drive belts as the rubber will have degraded

and you're going to need to change the battery

Any fuel thats in the tank will be very stale so ideally drain it off fit a new filter and brim the tank with fresh to dilute whats left behind.

If the car has been sat on its wheels / tyres all this time the tyre will very likely need replacing as the rubber will have taken a set and they won't run true. You may get away with just driving it around for a few days but expect a lot of vibration during this period

brakes will certainly need fresh fluid and don't be surprised if the calipers are seized the system should be bled with fresh fluid at the very least before driving the car

however I can only find 1 garage to fit lambo doors

http://lambodoors.co.uk/main/fitting/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Matt,

Thank you for the information. It will turnover first time. I intend to change the tyres, brake disks and pads. The fuel is very low, yellow light is on. Could I do the work myself using axle stands or will it have to go on a ramp. I have a little knowledge as I worked as a vehicle recovery driver for four years.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

you can do the work on axle stand thats fine a ramp is nice but not required

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will it be safe for me to be working completely underneath the car while it's on 3 ton axle stands. For example if I try to unscrew bolts using a lot of force, is it possible for the vehicle to fall off the stands and land on top of me?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Paul

providing you have the car on level ground and the stands are on a steady / strong part of the chassis then its perfectly safe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Matt.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem Paul

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.