Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I Have a 1995 XJR auto and had problems with the torque converter.

I Have a 1995 XJR auto and had problems with the torque converter. A local mechanic changed out the gearbox and torque converter and though it appeared to be OK. The drive develops a fault after 5 miles or so and reverts to a get home gear, with the transmission fault light on. On resting and starting again it appears OK and then develops the fault. The local mechanic advises a visit to a jag dealer with a diagnostic adviser. Any similar experience may be helpful.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello Derek and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you / advise you ..

With this situation - the issues you have outlined, given all what you have done so far.. and you still have this fault then yes- certainly the diagnostics should be done... Really, that should have been done first before everything else...

This will electronically scan the TCM ( trans control module/computer ) for fault codes - which will be there because you have the trans fault light on... .. and that will direct you to the fault.. it will say where it is on the circuit - be it a fault with a sensor - such as the range sensor and so on...wiring faults or even a fault with the TCM itself... There can be any number of reasons / causes for this - different from one car to the other.

So yes - there is nothing else to do now at this point - you must have the diagnostic tests done now- then you can make real progress to get this issue sorted out for you Derek.

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,

Thanks for your response. I just needed to check that my journey was going to be worthwhile as the car is now out of MOT and I will have to take it on a trailer.

Derek

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there Derek -

Thank you very much for your reply - Im sorry I missed you further yesterday... but yes- that is as you say.

You know where I am if there is ever anything else / more you need Derek - Im always happy to help further if I can at all...

Im very glad to have helped you Derek -

--- per the way justanswer works Bill - I do just need you to now click on the"OK ratings" at this point for me please as thats how Im credited for my time etc in helping you - so please do that for me - and I Thank you kindly..

- Again - you can get back to me anytime should you need - clicking the "OK ratings" does not close you out at all -

Very best Rgds -- MIKE.