Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I have a x type 2002 v6 the engine management light is on

Customer Question

I have a x type 2002 v6 the engine management light is on I have taken to garage laptop fault is environment cabin.heater and air con not working LCD display dead , I am on holiday in France garage says its fine continue what do you think car drives fine
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

As long as the fault codes retrived arent engine/transmission related..and the engine seems to run fine as far as you and your mechanic at the garage are concerned then it shouldnt be anything to worry about to be honest and be fine to continue in the meantime until as such you can get it seen to once back in the uk..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The concern is will it go into limp mode as manual states is possible ,if I was to seek repair garage saying could be air con pump,or its cluch module or interior controls .would a more detailed diagnostic find the problem . Have been told jaguar in Toulon or nice can do this but don't want to waste 130 euros for this for same result.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

There is the off chance of that and,i can see your concern.where you would then get reduced power..Im not sure what diagnostic capabilites the first garage had as you dont say..I do agree a more detailed or higher level diagnostic would narrow that down especially if it where dealer level or near which i doubt the first garage would of had to be honest unless you know other wise when you where dont say wither they checked anything else for example the battery/charging,ensuring nothing was loose lectrical wise under the bonnet,relays,especially so air con one anyway,aswell as the aircon pump.itself connections wise,belt.if the engine seems to perform well whilst the warning is up then it should be ok..There is on the other hand you could try the dealer all the same if you wish and maybe able to narrow it down to specific would eventually need a more in dpeth test anyway to accertain whats and where and which sensor is a it may not be waste if they can be fixed there and then..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They did not have full details on laptop ,they did check battery fuses and reset dash however comes back on .as I wish to stay here a while yet am going to get full. Diagnostic by jaguar for pevace of mind if it is as suspected the in car LCD unit it can wait have to keep window open last resort do have breakdown cover if it is advised not to continue.thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

In all honesty that would be the best way forward and will likely be done anyway to full diagnose the problem you have - as not alot of diagnostic machines are able to fully diagnose faults and on occassion can miss diagnose problems may still be possible to continuing driving it.depending what the result of that test are..