Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2 questions.. 1. I am about to put new leather seat covers

2 questions..

1. I am about to put new leather seat covers in my 2000 XK8 convertible. ( it was stolen and they left cigarette burns in the seats!) I have watched a youtube video showing how to remove the seats and fit the new covers, it suggests that the battery is disconnected to avoid the air bag going off, I assume this might be when the electrics are disconnected from the seat, is it really necessary to disconnect the battery?

2. If the battery needs to be disconnected, what is the reconnection procedure to reset everything afterwards?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

disconnecting the battery is very necessery I'm afraid otherwise there's a strong chance the side airbag could go off as you unplug it and as your head will be near to the bag when this happens you could be badly hurt

the only thing you have to worry about resetting after disconnecting the battery is do you have the radio security code ? as some models ( not all) need a 4 digit code entering if the power is removed it should be on a card in the vehicle handbook
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I will take your advice and disconnect the battery !! ... and yes I do have the radio code.

Thanks John.