Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

X type. 2008 reg. remote central locking not working! Key

X type. 2008 reg. remote central locking not working! Key fob batteries replaced both fobs not working. Help?????
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you -

Can I just ask - did the fobs just stop working suddenly - ? Or has any work etc / anything been done on the car that may relate to this?

Please also give me the Full reg of the car so that I can ID the systems it has-

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Reg. No:- VK58 XZU First Reg. 30-11 2008

I did have the same problem some months ago but it suddenly corrected itself and has worked quit well until it just stopped working again. I left it for a while to see if it would but itself right again, but nothing. There were no obvious symptoms, ie, unreliable, needing to be right next to the car before it would work. It just would'nt work one day.

I have replaced the battery in the fob.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Alan..

Im afraid - to explain the delay - you re listed your question - which meant it was removed from my list... I have just come across it again in the listings.. Im afraid I was on a break when you first replied to me - and then with the re list , that caused the major delay.. its just the way the system works.

Now ref the issue you have - Im afraid this model did / does suffer with all manner of CDL ( central locking issues ) - with many different causes.

Really - the first thing to do is to have an electronic plug in diagnostic check done on the car... This will scan the GEM ( control module ) fault memory and will trace the cause of the fault down quickly - and so actually, very cost effectively.

To explain a little further - on this model - any programming / re programming of the remote fob keys, has to be done with plug in equipment - it cannot be done manually. So - even if the fault is just the key fobs having list their programming, it has to be checked / and sorted that way... So that would be the first thing they would do / check... If thats all it is - then its sorted in ten mins. That is a common issue with these too.

If the fault isn't that - then its going to be either a bad wire -by way of chaffed / damaged broken wires - or, bad connections on the circuit - or, faulty computer module ( GEM as above ).. So - you can check all the wiring - but as you can imagine, its very time consuming - you have to start with the cables where the run from the car body to the individual doors - The problem can be there - in one of them - but it takes a long time as you can imagine to trace it down - This is why - and coupled with fob re programming business, I suggest to have the plug in tests done - and then work from there. Again - it will be quickly and cost effectively sorted out for you that way.. that is the way forward on this now really -

Let me know if you need anything else - I will always get back to you in time should you reply / need anything else - please do not re list your question as per above Alan . ;)

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert