Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

How do I stop fuel flooding the engine

Customer Question

How do I stop fuel flooding the engine
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you ...

Could you though please just explain your issue a little more fully - then we can progress...

Plus - what is the general condition - and mileage of the engine?

And what work etc / if anything has been done on it - ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE............................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, mike,some times when you turn the key it starts ,if it did not start first time ,you try again couple of times then there is no compression,then you take the fuse out to stop the fuel remove the plugs clean them put some oil into the bore to build compression put the plugs back in and start the works.the car is s reg one owner from new i am the second owner it has done 84500 miles i have done 25000 miles .put new plug leads had it serviced drives well it looks like a new car except this problem since i have had this car it has happened three times.normal garages have not got a clue .hope you can give me some hope other wise getting a bmw .thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Akbal -

Thank you for your reply - and my apologies that I could only just get back to you -

Ok - I note what you have done already Akbal - but I didn't see that you particualr made much ref to the plugs - apart from a clean.

It would be a good idea to renew them if you don't know their age especially - as new plugs will "fire" that mush better - and give it a much better chance to start.

The other thing is - check they are the right plugs for the engine - many get wrong ones fitted - yours being a pre 2000 engine should be a ,well, NGK ref - PFR5G - 13E.. this is important for them to be correct - and if you do fit new- they are pre gapped so don't change the gap on them.

It is a common issue generally though on this engine - especially if you start the car - move it a few yards - stop it and then try and re start - such as moving the car out of the garage / drive etc - but if you do, don't turn it off - that in itself causes the issue on this called, "washing of the cylinders".. this is done because of the excess fuel going in - and it causes the piston rings to not seal - hence the lack of compression - non start.

So a way to get over that - assuming the above is all correct - is to , before you turn the key - press down and hold down, the accelerator pedal.. keep pressed while turning the engine - until it starts. Note - if the engine backfires - you should not continue to do this and should have it checked at a garage - other than that , that is a good way to stop the flooding and get started.

Added the above -check under the bonnet - look inside the air intake ducting that runs from the air filter box to the throttle body. Heavy oil contamination in here shows / suggests that you have significant crank case pressurisation (blow by) which also points to eroded or worn bore linings / piston / ring issues. A compression test / cylinder test should be done to confirm that and go from there.

If that is proven, its an extremely expensive repair and most dont continue - often its cheaper to replace the engine!

I will just note though that was a Jaguar TSB re a software update for bad starting on the XJ - it depends on the cars VIN as to whether yours comes under this so I will give you the check range - If yours is in the VIN range as affected, you need to speak to a Jaguar dealer about having the ECU software update done... that could be all it is.
The range is : XJ 853936 - 878717 and F00103 - F20644 -- so check yours and speak / arrange to have that done if applicable.

If not - you need to work as above on this one - remembering the accelerator pedal "trick" as above. Too - ensure the battery is in top condition as it needs to be able to continue to crank the engine until it starts that way... So those are the ways forward on this one now one way or the other Akbal.

Let me know if you need anything else at all --

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all - you are very welcome.

Anything else you might need at all in the future - you know where I am.. ;)

All the best with the car Akbal -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no more questions.yes i have rated you .thanks very much your answer will help ma a lot .