Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Jaguar XF 2.9 diesel 09 reg keeps cutting out on driving. no

Customer Question

Jaguar XF 2.9 diesel 09 reg keeps cutting out on driving. no power
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you ..

Im sorry to see you have had a wait..

With this issue you mention - you don't say that you are getting any Restricted Performance or engine fault lights on the dash - so that , in the absence of those, rules a lot out.. and leads us to common issues/ known failure points.

On this model, with the symptoms you describe, that of cutting out at any odd time, is usually down to a bad connection / faulty connection - corrosion / wet etc - in / to the crank shaft sensor... So that needs to be checked - and cleaned and tried if that looks poor. The actual air gap between the sensor and the pick up ring should be checked too for cleanliness - sometimes you get a dirt build up due to the magnet in the sensor. So check that too.... If not at all as above, if its all ok, then the sensor itself is a common fault... This can be checked diagnostically - but with such an intermittent fault , sometimes it wont show and you just have to have the sensor replaced.

To be honest - 99 times out of a hundred, that will cure this issue on this vehicle.

Of course there could be other things, but that is very common as above so should be checked through / dealt with as above - then IF its not that - you would need plug in , Live Data (running diag tests while driven ) -- that will ID the fault whatever it is that way.

So thats the way forward on this one now to get this sorted for you .

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike thank you for your advice, duly noted. Car booked in for crankshaft sensor replacement. Hope this works. Have tried better fuel, fuel cleaner, major service & 2 diagnostic checks to reveal nothing at £100.00 per time. No lights on dash when it happens. Just cuts out completely, if I wait 2-3 minutes then restart no problem and it might drive for 1000 miles before happening again. May cut out on standing or while driving hot or cold at all speeds. Has not gone into limp mode just cuts out completely.