Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I have a 2006 Daimler Super 8. It will always start first

I have a 2006 Daimler Super 8. It will always start first time when cold but it suffers from a starting problem when warm - it will not start first time but invariably second time. Any ideas? The main dealer advises that there is nothing wrong when run through their diagnostics but Jaguar are working on a software upgrade -since 2006!!!!!

John
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd suggest swapping out the coolant temperature sensor as the 1st thing as this a cheap part and has a strong influence on starting

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Matt

Thanks for this. Should I just ask the dealer if they have already checked the above or is there an independent Jaguar specialist close to Worcester that could carry out the work?

John

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd use an independent

as you nearly always get better service at a lower cost

try this firm:

http://www.eapj.com/