Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a X type Jag. the engine warning light often comes

Customer Question

I have a 'X' type Jag. the engine warning light often comes on and sometimes all the gauges fail, but the car runs well and the next time I start it, there are no warning indicators showing. The car has only done 65000 miles and has been well maintanined and serviced. I have had Jaguar look at it but they can't fins anything wrong.
What could cause this?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

also check the condition of the small earth connections onto the engine, these will exit the wiring loom with ring terminals that are then bolted to the engine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was very pleased with the service.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Glad to have helped

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.