Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, Wondering if you could help? I have 2004 3 litre

Customer Question

Wondering if you could help?

I have 2004 3 litre S type. A few weeks ago, the J gate jammed and and could not get out of reverse. Had the car dropped off at a garage and they also advised that the handbrake was jammed on.

Got a second hand J gate, now the car changes gears as it should. Had the car serviced at the same time, needed new rear pads and disks. However, still having brake issues.

The electronic hand brake button appears to be lower than it should and does not work, although it does feel as though it moves correctly. The DSC warning light also comes on intermitantly and the engine management warning light is on with an error message saying reduced performance.

The garage advised that I need a new brake servo (600 quid!). Does this sound correct? Would that also produce the engine warning light and limp home mode to be activated?

I have seen a suggestion on other forums for people with similar issues that maybe a sticky caliper could be at fault? The garage I used did at first diagnose that one of the rear calipers was sticky, but then changed their mind and felt that it wasn't....

Many thanks for any help or guidance you can offer.

Rich
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

a sticking handbrake can trigger the limp home mode so that is possible

and its sadly quite common for the brake motors on these to seize up as they're quite exposed under the car

often flooding the cable entry and exit points with WD40 and then use losts of grease on the cable once its all moving can sometimes bring a motor back to life

but also the motor mechanisim jams up which then stalls the motor and causes it to burn out and generate the fault codes

used units are available at a reasonable price but ther's no guarentee that one of these will last very long