Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an 03 x type in my shop.I replaced the starter to no

Customer Question

I have an 03 x type in my shop.I replaced the starter to no avail.When I turn the key the solenoid will click and the engine will turn a couple of degrees.If I hold the key over to start, the click and little bit of motion will repeat every two seconds or so.If I leave the key in the run position and go under the hood and actuate the solenoid with a screwdriver the engine starts with no problem,runs fine.I am flummoxed.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please continue the search.

thanks.If no success after two days ,cancel the request.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'm Matt and I'll try to help you with this

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your attention to my question.However there are some things you have overlooked in my post. to wit:

The starter is new.

The engine can be started with a screwdriver jumping the small terminal you speak of on the starter with the feed from the battery.

The small lead on the starter does not connect directly to the ignition switch the way you wrote.there is in fact a relay in between which I have checked by substitution and further checked some wiring by the fact that I can also start the engine by using a short length of wire to jump the two load terminals in the relay socket.

I am also somewhat flummoxed by the fact that if I hold the key over to start position the relay seems to be operating as it should but clicks on and off about once a second or so but only long enough per click so the engine only turns a few degrees per click.It will do this more or less indefinitely.

Lastly ,the dash turns on as it should when the key is in the "run" position.

I have twenty years professional experience in mechanics mostly on older british cars and another twenty before this as an amateur (did road racing ,etc etc)

thank you for your efforts

Bill Mack

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bill

OK thanks for the extra information

this sounds like the start relay is faulty or the grounding for the start relay is poor

I'd suggest replacing the relay to start with and inspect the state of the contacts where the realy plugs in