Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I have a 2003 x type 2.0 v6, the car frequently shudders

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 x type 2.0 v6, the car frequently shudders at 3000 rpm and it has thrown the engine management light on, I had a diagnostics test done which came up with misfire on cylinders 1 and 3, the garage have changed the ignition coils on these cylinders but the problem is still occurring. Are these cylinders at the front and easy to get to? As the garage informed me that they were, I'm not sure if they have changed the correct coils or do you have any other ideas?
Rob
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

yes 1 & 3 are on the front bank of cylinders closest to the radiator so reasonably easy to get to

I'd also fit new spark plugs and check over the state of the coil pack and injector wiring

and I'd also check for air leaks around the inlet manifold as if its pulling in air due to failed gasket this can make just 1 or 2 cylinders run lean

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.