Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car is a Jaguar x-type - Sovereign, 2.2 Diesel automatic.

Customer Question

My car is a Jaguar x-type - Sovereign, 2.2 Diesel automatic. I bought the car last December with 10,000 miles on the clock. From day 1 this intermitent problem occurs. I turn the ignition and wait for the glo-plug light to extinguish but instead it flashes and on the instrument panel readout is the message, 'Gearbox Fault'.

I turn the key back to neutral and wait a few moments before trying again, same result.

Sometimes, I start the engine and put the car in gear. It engages gear with a judder.

Last week, I had to repeat this routine several time before I could turn on the ignition without the flashing or warning light.

I have found that bringing the car to a halt from normal driving and then letting the engine run for a few moments seems to lessen th chance of this happening.

The car is still under warranty and if there is something wrong I would prefer the Lancaster Jaguar pay for it rather than me.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal, no I have not got an answer so I would be grateful if you would keep working on it please?

thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

The JATCO automatic transmisson in these cars is prone to issues as they age

I'd suggest 1st to take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...