Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I own a jaguar XF 2.7ltr 2008 model. Im experiencing a strong

I own a jaguar XF 2.7ltr 2008 model. I'm experiencing a strong exhaust smell when the ventilation system is being used, although there's no smell when I re-circulate the air and when the window is open. It's been into 3 separate garages with no success as to what is causing this. It seems to be an intermittent problem.
Can you shed some light on this?
It makes no difference giving it a good run up the motorway.
The original cause of this smell was put down to a crack in one of the cats. The crack was welded and the smell appeared to go away. Only for the smell to return weeks later. Weld was checked, but wasn't leaking. The whole exhaust system has also been checked and given a clean bill of health.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you -

On this model there is a known issue / concern with the exhaust that will give you the symptoms you describe - On the exhausts on these - just before the catalytic converters, there are what are called "flexi pipes" .. which are flexible parts of the exhaust - to allow the system to "flex" with movement of the engine. These fail inside - inside the mesh where you cannot see - and the fumes come up through the vents into the car / cabin. Jaguar as a company - at least as yet, dont sell these "lfexi" parts as separate parts - these cannot be weld repaired neither - and they only sell them as a complete exhaust system part with the catalytic converters - around the £1600 mark.

There is though a company that I know of and am happy to give you details of that will supply you just the flexi parts of the exhaust , the parts that fail - and you then have them cut / fitted in - It is a recognised repair that passes the MOT etc no problem.

So given what you have outlined, I do feel you have this issue even if its not been noticed thus far - this is the common issue with the symptoms you describe.

Other than that - the only other issues that would cause this would be air leaks from the engine breather system - exhaust manifold etc.. These are not common issues on this model but should of course be checked first.

Other than that - if its not found to be breather system issues as above, then you are back to the known issue Ive mentioned with those flexi pipes.

If there is anything more by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike , apologies for late reply and payment. You have given us plenty to think about and check. Many thanks.
Can you please provide the companies details that supply the flexi pipes for future use.
I will certainly recommend you to family and friends.