Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello, I have a 1996 Daimler Century 6lt V12,the auto transmition

Hello, I have a 1996 Daimler Century 6lt V12,the auto transmition failure light goes off intermittently and the engine goes into limp mode,this occurs at any speed/accelerating or cruising. I can rectify by stopping,switching off and re starting the engine but would dearly like to rectify the fault - I would appreciate any advice please. Thanks, Graham
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hello and Welcome...

Mike :

This is MIKE as requested...

Mike :

Please just send me a line of reply so that I know you are here in Live Chat - then we can progress..

Mike :

I think we may have a system glitch - Im not receiving anything from you - I will switch us to the QA system / mode - then you will be able to get back to me as that works fine. ( sometimes the chat system does hang on occasion )... Please send your reply there ( you will get note of this ) dont open up a whole new question - just carry on here... and I will get back to you asap thereafter.. Kind Rgds, MIKE

Customer:

As explained previously,I have a 1996 Daimler Century V12,the auto transmition failure light goes off intermittently and the engine goes into limp mode,this occurs at any time whether accellerating or cruising.I can

Customer:

As explained previously,I have a 1996 Daimler Century V12,the automatic transmition failure light goes off intermittently and the engine goes into limp mode,this occurs at any speed/accellerating or cruising.I can overcome by stopping the car, switching off the engine and restarting,but would dearly love to rectify the fault - I would appreciate any advice please

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Graham -

Thank you - I have received your reply now as above..

I note the issue you have and whats happening - how you get over it etc - can you tell me if you have any checks / tests done at all then so far - and if so, with what results?

Plus - have you had anything done with the trans at all?

Rgds, MIKE...................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No physical work undertaken and no access to diagnostics

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Graham,

Thank you for your reply -

In that case - what you have here - with the tran systems fault light coming on - the TCM, Transmission control module , is detecting a fault in the trans systems.. You can as you are, get rid of it by switching it off / on again but thats only temporary - until the module sees the issue again and will put the light on again and limp mode.

Now as to whats causing this -this really can be anything from low transmission fluid to dirty fluid / filters to a wiring fault on the electronic side of things to an actual fault in the transmission system....so you can see that its not possible to tell right here what the cause is - The advice is now to have a garage plug in diagnostic equipment to see whats going on. As you say you don't have such equipment, most owners dont so you will need a garage to do this for you...

Before thats done, you can have the trans fluid checked for level and quality - and too- the wiring in the system - anything like a chaffed wire / bad connection etc all can be physically checked for anything amiss... If anything is found to be wrong it can be put right and then re driven / re tried. If the light stays off then thats that fixed.. If not - then your next step is to have the diagnostic test done. This interrogates the TCM for fault codes - which will be logged there in its memory because the light is coming on to tell you this...and once the fault codes are retrieved, the fault then is properly identified and can be sorted then whatever is found. So thats the way to work through this one now to get this fixed for you Graham.

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already taken the car to a jaguar trained mechanic who implied the wiring to sensors within the gearbox "may" be faulty and suggested renewing the cable loom encased within,these are no longer manufactured and then suggested a new gearbox with an inherent new loom !!, I have, personally checked the fluid levels and quality ensured the exposed wiring is intact. Thanks, Graham

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Graham -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

Ok - thats what I was meaning when I asked if anything at all had been done.. but thats ok - so long as he checked for fault codes- Given the decision he arrived at , I would think he did...

It is true that over time the wiring does break down as I alluded to above and inside the transmission too - heat does it basically.

I would suggest Graham that you visit an Auto trans specialist with this.. they very often have spare parts for older vehicles around - or have contacts where they can get looms and the like...or even good ones will make up a new loom as needed... They will mostly be able to repair / rather than replace with such issues - saving you considerable sums of money. General garages even dealers tend to send such jobs to these people for the same reason....as most people dont' want to be changing an otherwise perfectly good gearbox..

So that I would suggest now then is your best way forward on this Graham to get this fixed for you -and at the best possible price....

..... Please do click on the "OK ratings" for me now Graham... Thank you very much.. and if you do need / wish to get back to me at al l, you are welcome at any time..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment further, whilst I acknowledged your service as good I must confess to being disappointed in having spent £33 only to be advised eventually I had best take the car to an "auto trans specialist" to diagnose the problem.I could, I feel ,have saved myself £33.00 and taken this course of action in the 1st instance!!

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Graham -

Thank you for your reply.

I note your comments re the financial side of things - I think though you will realise if you re read all that I wrote you Graham, that this situation was a long way from me just saying "take it to a garage"...or trans specialist... But - even had that been the "Only" thing I said - in your given situation as you described it, that course of action - from my advise, would one, get this issue fixed for you - and two, save you a lot of money..

As you said you had already to been to at least two garages - one said to replace the transmission - and you can imagine the cost of that - and the second, Jaguar garage told you what they did...re the looms and that they cannot get then anymore..

What can I do after that Graham - I certainly cannot "diagnose" the fault from here... justansweris as is advertised, a advice site -and thats what we do - based on what we are told... In your situation, you had already had the diagnosis done - by two garages - and you said in your question after that was done --- "Local garage has failed to diagnose fault save for suggesting a replacement gearbox !!!"....

Further tests / checks were obviously the next step then - which I advised - but crucially, the best way to go about this - where to have this done , is what I "advised"...

The idea as I pointed out at the time, is that these people have the toolery, the equipment, the knowledge and the sources for supply of parts etc that general garages even dealers don't - ( as you said was half the problem )... to sort your issue for you at the best possible price and without the cost of a replacement transmission.

That advice, in this situation - you already having done what you had, was the best advice anyone could have given you -- all being well, that course of action will not only get the issue fixed for you - but at a considerably cheaper figure than replacement transmissions - as mentioned at the outset.
You evidently hadn't taken your vehicle / thought of taking it to a specialist - not many people do for they fear a " specialist " will cost a lot of money - whereas you will see / have seen that is actually your cheapest / best option in this situation.. Money very well spent then for that advice . On reflection, Im sure you will agree.

Given all then, once again, that was the best advice I could give in this situation -and it will prove very valuable if it all works out for you as Im sure it has / will...

I hope that clarifies the issue for you Graham - You are welcome back anytime..

All the very best to you -- MIKE.