Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

When cornering my XK, especially to the right, I hear a hissing

When cornering my XK, especially to the right, I hear a hissing sound from under the dashboard, and sometimes fluid drips down in the passenger footwell. What is this, please?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ..

Before we progress - this "fluid" - have you checked / identified it at all ? If not - can you do... feel it with your fingers / sniff it.. see if its water / coolant etc...

Have you checked the engine coolant - seeing if its needing topping up at all?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Pretty sure it's water. Engine coolant level fine.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Justin -

Thank you for your reply - sorry I could only just get back to you..

In that case- Im confident you have an AC system leak Justin.. certainly that would add up - The same can happen with the cooling system - where you get such a leak - in the circumstances you describe - its a loose fitting component on the system -and the very cornering causes it to let fluid out - and hiss as it does as its under pressure - and then the wet.

Now it still could be engine coolant - coming from the heater matrix / pipes - If its not letting a lot out, it would be minimal - and you really wouldn't notice the loss so much on the coolant. So in any event - it will be one or the other.

A tech can use a dye test to check both systems to ID which system the leak is coming from - but too - a tech can make a physical check up under the dash and should really be able to ID where this is coming from / which system. Both will produce the same - hissing and wet -when cornering as you describe...So I would suggest to start by having it physically checked by removing the panels under the glove box and side panels as needed on the centre console to gain visual access and go from there... Im sure this will be found without the need to dye test - but there is that option if needed to easily find it that way... So thats the way forward to get this sorted for you now Justin for sure.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert