Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a 3litre XJ 2003 reg no 91PC. It would not turn over

Customer Question

I have a 3litre XJ 2003 reg no 91PC. It would not turn over this morning and several amber warnings were given ie. DSC not available: GEARBOX FAULT: AIR SUSPENSION FAULT: and PARKBRAKE FAULT: Any suggestions?
***** *****e
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantel

Thanks for your response

I have not got an answer and I still need assistance so I will wait for an answer from you when available.

Thanks in anticipation

Hello Peter,

Thank you for getting back to me. I will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

However, should you wish for me to close your question and reverse your charges at anytime please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal

I am still in the same situation as originally explained. Please continue to look for assistance.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter

sorry about the delayed reply

I'm Matt and I'll try to help you with this

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

if the battery is really flat you'll get all sorts of odd error messages so try and solve that one 1st as its likely to be the root cause

There should also be a small wire to the starter motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor