Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hello ,the brakes on my 2.0 x type come on after about a mile

Customer Question

hello ,the brakes on my 2.0 x type come on after about a mile on without me touching the peddle. the only way I can release them is by undoing the brake pipes on the abs pump.can you help.. thanks paul
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Paul and Welcome..

My name is MIKE -Im happy to help / advise..

Very often Paul this problem is down to the servo unit or the one way valve on the vac pipe to it being faulty - and it causes the brakes to do exactly this...

But yes - you can have this happen with a faulty ABS system / pump too... though usually you will get a fault light come on the cars dash or fault message to tell you in that situation.

The best way to check this is when it happens again - with the engine running - pull the pipe (vacuum pipe ) out of the servo unit - and see if the brakes then release... If they do - its either the one way valve as above...always the first thing to change.... or the servo. If its not corrected after the valve - then its the servo.

If doing as above ( unplugging the pipe ) does not free them off.. then yes its a fault with ABS system - usually the pump - though you would need garage help then to properly asses that and rectify that for you then.

So thats the way to work through checking this as above Paul to get this sorted for you.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.