Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have just purchased a 2005 XK8 convertible and it has

I have just purchased a 2005 XK8 convertible and it has a very hard ride and I can feel every bump in the road.
It's fitted with 20" BBS Sepang wheels, which I know will harden the ride but can I make any other adjustments to soften the ride, as I only want it for cruising?
Looking under the car it is fitter with non standard green springs, so it looks as if someone has tinkered with it in the past.
Martyn
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Martyn and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -

Im afraid there is no easy way forward on this Martyn - its going to cost money to alter this..

Basically as you say - its evident that the previous owner or whoever has "uprated" it to virtually "rally mode".... changing the wheels and suspension... even just those wheels / tyres will harden the ride significantly .... So the only way to soften it - is to revert all back to how it should be --

Changing the springs first though may I would say be the cheapest - unless you could perhaps "borrow" a set of wheels from somewhere to just try the ride - see how it is with just the wheels changed... It will make a difference - it just depends which makes enough difference for you ...for the ride comfort. ie- you may be happy with just the wheels / tyres changed...or the springs... or you may want the lot changing. Even just a change of tyres if you can get a suitable set may be enough for you ---

Im sorry there is no real easy way round this other than doing it / working as above...to get it to ride as per its original design...which to me , is a lovely ride when "normal"....

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
The tyres on the rear are made by Linglong (who ever they are).
They are 285 30 20 tyres.
Would it make any difference if I change them to a premium brand and increase to 285 35 20?