Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1991 Jaguar XJ6 with a Pirelli P4000 tyre size 225/65

I have a 1991 Jaguar XJ6 with a Pirelli P4000 tyre size 225/65 ZR15 99W but can no longer obtain these tyres. What is the alternative please as I do not want to scrap a nice car because of this.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am prepared to wait as I need an answer. I am sure there are many Jaguar Xj6 cars of this year about fitted with this particular tyre,so this has to be a common problem. I would also like to ask what will happen to my money if you are unable to answer my question.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

probably the best bet is to go to a 235/60/R15

as these are available with a 98 load rating so will be compatible with what you have

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s5028p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_235_60_15_235_60R15

there will be a slight ( 1.4%) drop in the gearing as the overall diameter is very slightly smaller

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Camskill site.

Kenda KR15 Klever HP 235/60 R15 P 98H TL @ £56.20 inc.vat. or

235/60 R15 98T FR OWL TL @ £89.90 each inc.vat.

Would either of these do. Both exclude fitting and carriage.

Sorry that this has become protracted but I do need to get it right. I take it that I will need to change all five tyres.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the Kenda tyre is a budget tyre but actually better suited than the other one as the speed rating of the 'OWL' tyre is only T which is good for 118 mph
whereas the Kenda tyre is H rated so 130mph

which for a Jaguar is far more appropiate

as for changing all 5 then you only really need to change the tyres in axle pairs as the difference in size is so small as to not to make a difference
so if the spare is good then I'd leave it and only replace the tyres that need replacing

just don't mix tyres brands and sizes on the same axle
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years