Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hello. I own a 2006 Jaguar S Type 2.7d which will not fire

Customer Question

Hello.
I own a 2006 Jaguar S Type 2.7d which will not fire but turns over fine.
I have replaced the battery, added fresh diesel, replaced the glow plugs and checked the timing which seems ok.
I bought the car as a non runner from a garage and am unsure how long the Jaguar was idle.
Would it be a good idea to have the injectors cleaned and tested? Are special tools needed?
Alan
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V
Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

and yes removing the injectors and having them cleaned and tested is a good idea

but check the basic 1st

the injectors should unscrew from the head with no special tools