Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a x-type 2009 2.2 diesel manual which when i change

I have a x-type 2009 2.2 diesel manual which when i change gear from 1st too 2nd then 2nd too 3rd there is a knocking sound. this sound can only be heard when the radio is turned off and the windows are shut. My wife says is sounds like a wood pecker. the car has only done 57k
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

whats most likely is the propshaft is hitting something on the body or the exhaust as the transmisson moves under acceleration

this can happen if the prop centre mount / bearing is worn

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally by hand but the moevement shodul be less than 10mm

also if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

also
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My car is a front wheel drive and the drive shaft has no movement on it.

It seems that when you change gear and release the clutch the car seems to jolt forward.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello David

sorry about that I thought all X types apart from the 2.1 Petrol were 4WD

I'd check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts