Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Loud tapping noise on engine 2.2ltr petrol came on very suddenly

Loud tapping noise on engine 2.2ltr petrol came on very suddenly any ideas
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise...

Im sorry to see you have had a wait - In that time, can you tell me if / what has been checked so far...

Plus - is this accompanied by any warning lights / messages on the dash?

Too - what mileage does the car have - and what is its general service history like?

Rgds - MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine showed no signs of any noise or alarms warning lights or temperature . Just started suddenly whilst driving like a loud tapping noise which seems to come from top of engine ! This engine has approx 46,000 mls ! Full engine replaced by Jaguar after first engine blew up as I left the motorway ! Regular service history !!Replied with above yesterday ! Awaiting your response ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replied yesterday awaiting expert response !
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I see you replied yesterday - but it was 8:20 pm - I was not on in the evening.

This sort of tapping noise on this engine if its coming from the top of the engine is generally one or more of the tappets having come loose - so that would be the first place to be checking in any event. Once the cover is off- you would plainly see if there was anything else amiss - such as a break on the valve train - but if the engine is otherwise running ok , I would doubt thats the issue.

It will of course need to be physically inspected so thats the way forward - remove the rocker cover on the top of the engine - check it visually and then check each tappet and re adjust as found / needed - the settings for you for your convenience are as follows:

Valve clearance -INLETmm:0,17-0,22 cold
Valve clearance -EXHAUSTmm:0,32-0,37 cold

Do be sure the engine is cold when checking / adjusting the valve gear / tappets - at least 4 hours standing .

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there...

This is MIKE - Im just following up with you on your question as above....

If I can help you anymore at all, please do get back to me and let me know - Im more than happy to help more so if you need....or, if we are done, per the way justanswer works, I do then just need you to click on the "OK ratings" now at this point.. Thank you very much.

Best Rgds to you - MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert