Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2010 Jaguar XF which has just shown the dreaded RESTRICTED

I have a 2010 Jaguar XF which has just shown the dreaded RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE warning light last night when driving home. Can you please tell me what is the most likely cause of this to come on. I have read quite a few forum pages this morning and am not really any the wiser of the correct reason for this light to suddenly appear on my dash.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome...

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

This is a common issue -that engine fault light and / or, the RP message coming on when the Pcm ( engine management computer ) detects a fault in the systems - but - there can be literally hundreds of reasons why - as the Pcm controls and monitors all the functions of the system - from plain sensors to control units and components and so on...

As such, Im afraid there could be literally a hundred different causes / reasons for this to have happened.... The only way to find out exactly why its done it, is to have the car connected to a suitable plug in diagnostic machine. To explain - as you have this issue, the Pcm as above, will have stored at least one fault code for the issue - but to get the fault codes out of the Pcm, you have to have the plug in test as above... that is always the starting point -- then once retrieved, the fault code/s point the tech / user in the direction of the fault and all can be out right.

You could buy the test equipment if you intend to work on it yourself - there are many many code readers on the market for these OBD tests... or if not, you will need a local garage to do this for you - any local garage that has the right equipment can do this for you as of course can any Jaguar dealer.

So thats the way forward for you now on this one to get this sorted for you.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.