Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car is a 2008 Jaguar X Type Sport Estate, 3.0 litre petrol,

My car is a 2008 Jaguar X Type Sport Estate, 3.0 litre petrol, manual transmission, 4-wheel drive. I've owned it since almost new, and all servicing has been carried out by the Jaguar dealer as recommended. Present mileage about 50,000. For the past three years or so, the amber engine warning light has come on intermittently, usually going off again after a few days, the coming on again some days later. Sometimes it has gone into safe mode, preventing me from revving above 3,000rpm. The car has been back to the dealer four times with this problem, and each time they have replaced some sensor or another, and this has remedied the fault for a few weeks only. Despite using their diagnostic check equipment, they seem unable to pinpoint the problem, and I have become very frustrated about the whole business, not merely about the growing cost to me. The last time they had the car - a few months ago - they said that it might be a good idea to replace all the sensors. They also said that the fault could be a wiring problem and that it might be a good idea to replace the wiring. Is this really the best that a Jaguar dealer can do? This is all very well but I am the one who has been paying, and who will have to keep paying! It is pretty bad that they are so vague about what's wrong and what's the best thing to do. In this respect, the car, and the dealer, have proved a big disappointment. I would like to keep the car - it is great in all other respects - and your independent opinion would be very helpful to me. Should I get an independent garage to look at the car, or would that not improve matters? Thanks in advance for your advice. Robert
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Robert,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

Thank you for responding. I have not already found my answer, and so I still need assistance, please.

Robert

Hello Robert,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Robert

intermittant elecrtical faults are difficult to diagnose as typically when you have the car at the garage the fault isn't repeated

however from your decription I'd say this could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

and yes I'd searach out a Jaguar specialist in your area as typically you get better service and a lower price from an independent

if you let me know your location I'll try and locate one for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Matt

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer.

Yes, please could you try and locate an independent Jaguar specialist for me, as offered? I live in Maidstone, Kent, and would be prepared to take the car for a day to anywhere within about 50 miles radius (i.e. in Kent, East Sussex, West Sussex, Surrey, London S, SE, E, and Essex).

Robert

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Robert

theres a few in your area

http://www.collierstreetgarage.co.uk/

or

http://www.jaguarspares.net/contact.htm

or

http://www.lespaulsmotors.co.uk/
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years