Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an X Type Jaguar estate 2.2l diesel April 2008, which

Customer Question

I have an X Type Jaguar estate 2.2l diesel April 2008, which has done 36,000 miles.
The dual mass clutch has gone.
My Toyota Avensis has travelled over 96,000 miles without any clutch trouble.
Do you think that I should inform Jaguar regarding my situation?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

That is a very low milage for a flywheel to fail

I'd agree that its well worth contacting Jaguar customer services
http://www.jaguar.co.uk/contact-us/index.html

who open up from the 2nd of January

if the car has been solely driven in stop start traffic / around town all its life then this 'may' be the reason for the early failure

but its also possible that there's a misfire on the engine that has hurried the failure along
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Matt, Many thanks for your reply.

I bought the car at 12 months old with 18,000 miles on the clock from a Jaguar dealership.

I have used the car to take my disabled wife out, mainly on holidays, and day trips with very few short journies. The short, start stop journies were undertaken in my Toyota Avensis which has 96,000 miles on the clock and no sign of clutch wear.

You say that engine misfire may have contributed to premature failure of the clutch. Will the garage who has the task of replacing the clutch be able to find out if this has been the cause? and is it likely to occur again?

I am unhappy with the fact that the car has failed at such a low mileage, and intend to let Jaguar know of my feelings. Thanks, Trevor

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd ask the garage to do some basic checks , checking over the coil and injector connections and possibly replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

if you have a check engine light on then there may be a misfire code logged which woudl help pinpoint the fault

if there's no light then its likely to be OK