Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a s type v8 2001 I bought as a none runner it did

Customer Question

I have a s type v8 2001 I bought as a none runner it did fire up but in limitation I found the problem . Broken primary timing chain on left exhaust bank. I stripped down the top end complete had the heads refurbished and scimmed. I have now rebuilt including new chains complete with tentioners and guides new starter and alternator and battery the issue now is slow crank and no start I did the timing with proper kit any help would be great
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
.

Can you turn the engine by hand and will it turn smoothly .

Put a voltmeter on the battery and read the voltage when you try to start a good battery should have 12.6 volts and when trying to start with a good starter motor the voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts with a good battery ,
If the voltage is around 10.5 to 12 volts when trying to start have the starter motor checked .
If voltage drops to 9.6 try another battery .

Do this then please get back to me with what you find .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The batt befor crank was 12.4 cranking it was 10.9 the batt is quite new the starter is new prior to me redoing the heads the engine did turn over and start. It ran rough problem was broken primary chain. The engine turns by hand freely.i replaced the starter and alternator as matter coarse in refurburbishing the heads . I noticed when cranking there was no reading on Rev counter and fuel gauge dropped to zero. Is there anything I could have done to create this problem when connecting everything up in engine bay thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

If the Rev counter is not working then check codes, as a crankshaft sensor malfunction will cause a no indication of revs and a no start .

Recheck your earths / Grounds .

Did you check the engine compression after the repairs ..

Greg