Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I not long brought an x-type 2.0ltr turbo diesel estate on

I not long brought an x-type 2.0ltr turbo diesel estate on an 06 plate. I had the car miles and the duel mass clutch went. The car went back to the garage that I brought it from and was replaced under warranty, but when I got the car back it had a chronic starting problem. When starting up, it would seem as though it was only running on two of the four cylinders and turning off the engine and then starting again seemed to do the trick, but it got worse over the course of two days and in the end it took 8 attempts to get it to fire up properly, also when it did start on only the two cylinders there was zero throttle response as well and the engine management light remained on.
The car has gone back to the garage and they said that they are replacing the injectors, but I fear they are scratching their heads a little trying to find out the root cause. Can you throw some light on the problem as I love the car and want it working properly as I brought it girlfriend and she needs a reliable car job as a nurse.
Henry Page
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I suspect that the engine crank position / speed sensor may have been damaged when the clutch and flywheel was replaced

I'd suggest checking the wiring to the sensor damage 1st and if this looks OK then I'd consider replacing the sensor with a new part