Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

, I have an XF Premium Luxury S. Went to start it yesterday

Hi, I have an XF Premium Luxury S. Went to start it yesterday and it appears the ECU is corrupted. Random messages came up including Gearbox fault and Not in park mode. Initially the engine turned over once, then stopped. Now I get nothing or symbols appearing briefly on the display. How can I return it to the original manufacturer's settings?
Cheers, Mike
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd suggest to try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

also a good idea to charge the battery overnight as a failed or discharged battery will also produce this sort of fault