Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Jaguar 3.6 XJS Coupe, 1989, fitted with a ZF4HP22 automatic

Customer Question

My Jaguar 3.6 XJS Coupe, 1989, fitted with a ZF4HP22 automatic gearbox, has just begun leaking oil from the front, bottom area of the gearbox via the grille. I suspect that the front oil pump seal is partially worn. the car had not been on the road for about 13 months and it's the first time I've experienced a transmission oil leak. The car has only done 68018 miles.
Please advise best course of action, as the car is generally in good condition.
Peter
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

whats more likely on this transmisson is a weeping front input shaft seal form behind the torque convertor

especially if the car has been stood for any length of time then this can cause this seal to take a 'set ' and then leak when you run the car again

the only fix I'm afraid is to drop the transmisson out of the car, remove the torque convertor and replace the seal - fortunatly though you don't have to strip the transmisson to do this as its fitted from the bellhousing side