Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a brake problem with my 2006 (56) plate S-Type Diesel

I have a brake problem with my 2006 (56) plate S-Type Diesel Sport. It has covered 87,000 miles. When braking lightly from approx. 40-50 mph the steering wheel wobbles and there is slight juddering/rumbling noise. When braking more heavily from higher speeds, typically 70-80 mph, the juddering is worse although there is no steering wheel wobble.
My independent specialist has replaced the front discs and pads twice in the last year. On each time the problem has been cured, but it returns after approx. 4 months use. I have have the problem again and am reluctant to have the discs and pads for the third time!
This is an exasperating problem. Can you assist please?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd suggest removing the brake discs and check that the disc mounting face is square and true as its possible that is disc mounted out of true
another possibility is a worn wheel bearing which would again throw the disc mounting out and create disc runout and so the wobble