Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

After a 12 to 14 overnight stasis in the garage my X-Type 2-2

Customer Question

After a 12 to 14 overnight stasis in the garage my X-Type 2-2 may not start immediately. The pump and glow plugs have been checked and are ok. The fuel filter was renewed on 9th April and morning starts were fine for each of the four following days. But yesterday and today starts took up to 5 minutes. I bought this used car on 2nd Feb. and it is still under the 3 month warranty. Mileage is now 47700 (46500 when bought); it was first registered in June 2008, BUT has had 5 previous "keepers"! During the day, starting is fine and I have done two 150 mile journeys in it. Even after the long journeys the morning start was a problem.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer which I received today (29th April) - late through my ignorance and inexperience of the workings of JustAnswer.

The selling garage has had the car for almost a week and today has renewed the EGR valve. They are keeping the car overnight hoping that that will have cured the problem.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

thats hopefully it

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.