Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I left my 2005 s type into my local mechanic as it was

Hi, I left my 2005 s type into my local mechanic as it was lurching when it got over 35mph, as if it was loosing power and a slight vibration which came from the passenger side, he said the gearbox oil and filter needed changed, so told him to go ahead, it's been a few weeks now, and I took it for a longer drive, 50 miles, when I reached my destination, (beside a garage) there was a knocking noise from the engine, one of the mechanics from the garage had a look, and there was no oil in the engine, or very little, he checked for leaks and found non, and topped it up with 4.5L of oil but the noise was still there, he advised me the damage was done. Could you tell me would the lack of engine oil have anything to do with the work done on the transmission, or what damage could have been done?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to say if the engine has been run with no oil, then its destroyed and you'll need to replace it

a good used unit is probably the most economic route to repair and yes its quite possible the lack of oil was the original problem as this would mean the variable cam timing would not function correctly

I doubt the original work on the transmisson caused this issue though unless the mechanic was a complete klutz and drained the engine thinking it was the transmisson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If lack of oil could have been causing the original problem, is this something the mechanic should have checked, as he has been servicing the car since I got it? My reason for asking is, if I get another engine would I be better changing mechanic?

Jon

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jon

yes the original mechanic should have checked the oil level, so if this not the 1st mistake then you may well be better off switching mechanics

but if the service has been fautless up till now then I'd say to carry on with him
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I returned to the mechanic today and explained what had happened, he told me he had not checked the engine oil when I had left it in with the original fault as he had been working on the transmission, and told me that those ford engines do burn some oil, I asked had he changed the oil last year when he did the service and MOT check, and he said he did, I asked how it could burn through 5L of oil after 2.5k miles, and mentioned that the low engine oil could have been the cause of the fault to begin with, he just shrugged. Think its time to change garage.. :(

Thanks for the help and advice.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
sorry to hear about his attitude Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks again, wish I had have asked here first things might have went another way, I'll leave the feedback now.

Jon

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
glad to have been of some small help