Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2004 x type 20d its ticking over very rough from

hi i have a 2004 x type 20d its ticking over very rough from cold and when the engine is up to temperature it still rough.
The car drives very smooth its just rough on tick over can you help me with this problem?
yours sincerely
mark L
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you..

Before we progress - can you please tell me - have you had any checks / tests done since having the car back / since the problem arose - if so, with what results?

What does the engine tick over at on the gauge - rpm ?

Does it feel like the engine is misfiring -? and at what revs will it clear? ( if it does )

Too - what is the mileage? and please give me the full reg of the car....so I can be sure exactly which system your one has -

Once I receive your reply I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mike thank you for getting back to me.

The car is ticking over between 500 and 1000 rpm.

The registration number is w3daj.

The problem I have recently found out is that some one has put a 2004 engine in it .The engine has covered 66000 the rest of the car has done 146000.

No I haven't had it looked at since I got it back.

yes there is a misfire .

when you take the revs over 1000 rpm it drives normal.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Mark - Thank you for your reply and further info..
With what you have told me, there is every reason to believe that this is still an issue with un cleared debris ( as you had ) or, damage has occurred to one or more of the injectors that haven't been replaced -showing up now.
Im thinking that you may not be tackling this yourself - you will in fact need access to some decent diagnostic equipment to do so... but further, in view of the fact that this is occurring since you paid to have the job done, really you need to be re contacting the garage and saying - I paid to have my car fixed - but its not right.. They will have it back in and carry out further diagnostics on it for you.
Im sure they will find as above. What happens in this situation usually, is that all injectors will be replaced, for just this sort of issue. Sometimes the pump has to be replaced also - The problem is debris can be found to have moved through the system - ie, some got stuck or they didnt clean it thoroughly and its not partially clogging an injector -or more than one.. or affecting the output pressure of the pump due to particles still being in there..
I honestly feel this is going to be the issue here Mark - and it really is down to the garage to "complete " the job you paid for... so I really would recommend you get back to them as above on this.
Other than that - this as above is what yourself or any other garage will need to investigate to get this sorted for you -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-- Please do do the rating for me Mark at this time.. Thank you in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok mike thank you for your help

Mark

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Mark..
No problem at all - Im very glad to have helped you ..
You are welcome back anytime --
Just one point Mark - as per the way justanswer works, so that I get credited for my time etc in helping you - I do just need you to click on the Excellent ratings for me at this point please...
Thank you again - and all the very best - MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi mike the problem with my x type desiel was the air flow sensor and not the fuel injectors as we originally thought.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
HI there - Thank you for getting back to me..Thats really very good news Mark.. Im very pleased for you. Its somewhat odd that the air flow sensor / meter would go wrong at the same time as everything else that happened.. its not even connected to the fuel system at all... but hey.. its really good news for you ! Once again - thank you for letting me know... -- All the very best - and you are welcome back anytime..Kind Rgds Mark - MIKE.