Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

After fitting Electronic Ignition to 1971 series 1 Jaguar How

After fitting Electronic Ignition to 1971 series 1 Jaguar How do I get Rev Counter To Work
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you ..

Before we progress, can you tell me exactly what you have tried so far--- what wires you have tried where etc...

Too - did the rev counter work at all - for any length of time after your conversion ?

Please reply here - along with any other info you may have. Once I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried the wire off the distributor on to coil and then onto alternator without success Ihave a 4in Rev Counter from a series3 when I connect it to the coil it works
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Gordon -
Im sorry I missed you yesterday -
Ok -with this issue the "drive" for the Rpm meter / tacho counter should be from the ign coil.
Im not 100% sure exactly the make of the gauge you have - ie, Smiths etc... but again, the drive for the tacho per your question should be connected to the CB wire of the coil ( the wire that goes to the distributor )
I hope that's the info you needed - do let me know though if I have misunderstood or if you need more help...
Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Please do click on the Excellent ratings if we are done - or come back to me if you need more -
Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Rev counter is a smiths belongs to car 1971 Was working with points distributor I had to change engine because the head came off a piston and damaged the head £1500 to fix head so opted for engine out of series 3 Wire off distributor onto coil doesn't, work tThe clock out series3 car onto coil works problem is its 4in and not 5in Looks like I need a more up to date 5in Rev counter What do you think Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
HI again.. In that case yes - because you will want it to fit the aperture to look right..You should then if you get one off the right year - have a three wire one Gordon... So to help you when you get it.. you will have one wire - a white one.. that goes to the ign amplifier ( that you now have with the elect ign .. ).. Red wire to fuse 4 ... and black to earth.. then it should work ok. If you have a three wire one now, thats how it should work too - but again, you will need the right size really.. - I hope that helps you Gordon - it certainly should .... is that ok.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert