Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2003 XK8 convertible, 4.2. About 45, 000 on the clock,

I have a 2003 XK8 convertible, 4.2. About 45, 000 on the clock, faultless service last November.
It has suddenly developed a continuous creek like an old sofa. A passenger said that it creaked when she was getting out when the engine was switched off. What should I do?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
With this issue, more likely than not its a worn suspension bush or the likes of shock absorber / ball joints worn.
It really is a case of having to physically check for same as above. It will mean either having the car up on a garage ramp to check ..or if you can do this yourself - have it up on a jack and stands - so that the front wheel is hanging loose - then you can use the wheel to check as a lever device for these things.
Use a good long strong lever under the wheel ( on the affected side ) - have the wheel about 4 - 6" off the ground.. and place the lever between the bottom of the tyre and ground - and lever the wheel / tyre up and down - while you look to see if the wheel has any excess movement... it shouldn't have . ( you can compare for normality with the other front side )
You could do with a helper - while you do this - have your aid check visually round the wheel - checking for the things Ive mentioned. Any creaking heard will be accompanied by a loose fitting... even a broken road spring should be seen doing this. Check the spring behind the wheel.
Use a tyre lever or such like to prise at the various suspension points / joints to detect excess wear or a broken component. Check also the anti roll bar links / bushes and stabiliser bar / joints..
Too - you can grip the wheel at positions 12 and 6 -and 3 and 9 ( o'clock ) and shake.. detecting any excess play / wear in the suspension / steering parts.
IF no faults are found as above - the rear of the car - rear suspension needs checking similarly - t will likely be found that the subframe bushes are worn - or suspension such as shock absorber / spring part fault as per front.
Working as above you will find the fault and then be able to deal with it / sort it out.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
---- Meantime - Please do click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer. It is helpful in suggesting the possible cause but for various reasons I cannot perform the tests that you have suggested.

I have to take the car to a local garage with good reviews. Could you give me any tips on how to avoid being ripped off, just in case.

Marek

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Marek -
Thank you for your reply.
I appreciate and understand your comments / concerns..
If you cannot for whatever reason carry out the checks/ work yourself, then the best thing I can suggest is to ask around your friends perhaps locally for a recommendation as to a good honest garage to use..
Or- there is a website where you input your postcode - and it will give you suggestions as to garages to use - called the Good Garage scheme.. This is supposed to only have garages advertising on there that have passed credential tests etc...I know people that have used it and been happy..
I cant give you a link right now - but if you copy & paste the following into your browser, that will take you to it - and then follow the directions there... Im sure one way or the other as above you will be ok.
Another tip is - you can ask two or three garages once you are told exactly what the fault is for quotes - then go with the best one..
Here is the web address for you : http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/
~~ Please can I ask you to click on the "Exc / OK ratings" for me now at this point Marek - Thank you... and you are welcome to come back to me anytime at all-
Kind Rgds, MIKE.