Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My X Type 2.2 diesel saloon rolled into a brick wall, the engine

My X Type 2.2 diesel saloon rolled into a brick wall, the engine was nor running and I was out of the car. ( estimated speed about 5/7 mph ) The damage is to the front bumper ( smashed ) front offside wing is damaged and requires new part, the bonnet is also damage and needs new part.
Question - I tried to start the engine turning the key, all the dash board lights came on but the engine made no effort to start and all the lights went out. Does this indicate that a cut out device has tripped and needs resetting, were is the device fitted and what is involved in resetting. Could the collision have broken the earthing connection to the main chassis?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
On the year of vehicle you have, there are two possibilities as to why it won't start now.. one is a damaged / cut wire / loom - where the car has been damaged at the front etc .. ( It wont be the earth I doubt, thats too far back )... or 2, the system has indeed as you say been shut down due to the accident.
What happens / how it works on your car is that the air bag sensors will trigger the fuel cut off etc.. You didn't mention if the air bag/s went off or not - but thats the usual case.
Its a simple enough task to find just what has happened anyway - as its in the garage they can manually / physically check the wiring for damage as above .. and / or as needed, connect a plug in diagnostic machine to the cars' OBD socket - this will show if the safety system has been shut down - and they can after repairs, reset it. Reset can only be done on this with the diagnostic equipment. The module is right up under the dash - but again, its not a manual reset.
Of course all these repairs will be met by the insurance company.
Im sorry to hear of your woes - but thats the situation with this and the way forward for you to get it started / fixed.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
Kind Rgds, MIKE.
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --