Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My jaguar xj8 has lit up abs and stability control fail What

Customer Question

My jaguar xj8 has lit up abs and stability control fail What does this mean and is expensive to fix? Roy in Wales
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive. The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Matt thanks for all that information but you did not give me an estimate to how much this repair will cost I know it depends on the garage but I have a local here that looks after our two cars mot etc Roy

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Roy to check all 4 wheel sensors is about an hours labour and then another half hour to fit / replace as required - parts are about £50 eachif your garage is a small independent the the labour rate will be around £50-70 / hour
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Matt, You have put my mind at rest our garage charges about £45 an hour so that's the good news and maybe not all the sensors need changing etc. Regards ***** ***** Wales

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Glad to have helped