Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Have refitted old barrel as new one delayed in post but car

I romoved an ignition barrel from my xtype ready to fit a new igntion barrel, at the time all went well, have called sng barret and new ignition that is being cut to suit my key is delayed as it's coming from Germany, went to refit old one after a few days but when I opened the door it alarmed, it stopped I have the old igntion in but the car is dead no signs of lights on dash at all. Help want to start the car, also will this happen again when I fit the new one
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Desperate for answer please, jag garage not willing to help. This must be a common fault as this is a known problem. Will you refund please if no answer by end of the day. Thank you for trying
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please keep looking no answer yet

Ian rose

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian -
MY name is ***** ***** Im happy to help if still needed.. Sorry to see you have had a wait.....
Please let me know where you are up to - whats been done meantime etc - then we can progress from there..
Rgds, MIKE......................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike, hqve discovered the battery is flat since taking ign barrel out, maybe coinsidence but have it on charge now to try in the morning, not sure why battery dead as its newish in last 6 months. I took the barrel out thinking the new would be a quick delivery but its delayed form jaguar, the new barrel is matched to my key so should be good. The car did alram when Ii opened the door after a few days but not sure what flattend the battery. Is it unusal for the car to react when the barrel is taken out. Ii know the battery was flat as only measure 2.4 volts. Ii am hoping it restarts. old barrel back in now so maybe the car will not think Ii am stealing it.

The barrel was easy to get out so not sure I should be having this trouble

Thanks Ian

Thanks Ian

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Ian -
Thank you for your reply -
It could be the battery is faulty Ian - you will have to try it as you say. You could have a battery place / supplier/ shop or even local garage run a proper test on it - in case its got a faulty cell or something. But try it as you say... you need to do that to see whats going on.
The car alarm / security system will activate or otherwise throw a wobbler if the battery power output goes low.. it scrambles the module and causes that.
The best way round that is , before you connect power back to the car- connect the two battery clamp terminals together - leave them together for an hour - then disconnect them and fit to the battery... It should be ok then - that has the effect of sorting the module out... It will usually work. IF not, you may find it has to be reset with plug in equipment ...but try that first.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike did as suggested car now ok, car putting 15 volts back in so all look good thank you, ***** ***** why I had a flat battery at the same time but will keep an eye on it thanks ian
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Ian..
Thank you for your reply -
Im glad all looks to be ok now Ian.. Just a point - 15v though could be too high - your regulator should cut the output at circa 14.6 - 7... so I tell you what to do - connect your meter Ian to the battery - to check volts again.. then run the engine - switch on all the electrics - lights - heater - rear window etc.. and watch the meter.. then raise the revs as well.. If at any time the meter rises above 15.. its over charging... the regulator not cutting in - which will damage the battery - and cause a flat battery too..
I mention this just in case... worth running the tests...
- Again - let me know if you need anything -
--- Just one other thing Ian , I do need you to click on the OK ratings for me please at this point as thats how justanswer credit me for helping -
Thank you again for that..
=--All the very best.. MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert