Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Bought a really cheap xtype, primarily plate, but since

Customer Question

bought a really cheap xtype, primarily for the plate, but since then have decided to get it on the road. Engine has a problem with Big Ends, new engine arrives Monday. Issue is, that I have a gearbox fault light on, but no OBD codes. Car drives up and down the drive OK, but obviously not able to test it on the open road.
How can I diagnose the gearbox fault before I swap the engine - Don't want to remove engine & gearbox and then have to do it again to fix the gearbox.
Car is an O2 3.0 V6 AWD
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shantal,

I have not found an answer, but am surprised you have not found an expert as the question is such a general one.

Please close my question - I will look elsewhere.

John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello John and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help --
Please accept my apologies, I was not on yesterday..and evidently no one else picked up your question... this does happen on occasion Im afraid.
If you do still need help John, feel free to reply / ask me.. Im more than happy to help you from here..
If you do - please tell me exactly what you have done meantime - since asking your question .. and the Full reg of the car will be helpful also..
Kind Rgds, MIKE........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Car Reg is JB02CAT

I'm aware that 'no cruise control' can be an issue with a cracked hose/leak - I've checked the hose usually at fault - it looks OK

The brake check valve looks OK as do the areas around the O rings.

I've tried sealing all three with tape to cover off any possible leaks - no difference made - gonna grab some carb cleaner and test by listening to rev count.

no OBD codes ......

John

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello there John -
Thank you for your reply.
Your original question was about gearbox / trans issues if Im correct.. with the fault light on but no codes.
Now -I suspect John.. but correct me if Im wrong, that a general type OBD reader has been used on this - that is able ok to read the PCM -but thats for the engine.. usually you need and espeically for these, a much more expensive type of machine that will connect to the TCM - Transmission computer to get fault codes.
Im suspecting that because as the light is on - you should get fault codes out..
If thats the case John then yes - you can diagnose it without the engine in - of course you need to be sure you have battery on the car and all such connections made to power the car circuits - but then a suitable machine will get codes from the TCM to direct you..
On the "mechanical" side - you can and should check the wiring / loom to the transmission - and the connectors. Often on these you get chaffed wiring or bad connectors to the trans - which will put a light on.
Other than that it can be a fault with the range sensor -and so on.. but again, a good / proper code reader will come up with that.
I see your dilemma - so I would see if you can get it tested that way - check the wiring etc first -in case you find an issue there - If not - a good mobile mech in your area should be able to come to you and scan the TCM for relevant codes.. then go from there.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- I will be on later if needed.
Best Rgds, MIKE.