Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 1991 Jaguar XJ40 which is making a beep bop,

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1991 Jaguar XJ40 which is making a beep bop, beep bop sound when the drivers door is opened.
Do you have idea please what can be causing this.
Also the central locking appears to have failed and the key in door will now only operate the fuel cap. Could these things be connected.
PS. Am female so please don't get too technical!
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help/ advise ..
The noise you hear is normal.. its a warning to let you know the door is not closed fully or properly ( or at all )
As for the central locking issue you have..this could be one of a few things.. It could be the fuse for the central locking.. the Owners manual tells you where that is, or I can if you need to check.
Or, it can be - and usually is , the fob battery gone down / too low / flat.. I would suggest to have a new battery fitted in the fob - most car shops will fit a battery for you FOC.. Halfords etc.. and I think that will do it.
The key lock on the door - this is very likely a failed actual lock mechanism, does happen on these Im afraid. The only answer is renewal of the lock - but I would suggest to have the battery in the key fob changed first and then go from there..
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply. I have replaced the fob batteries but no change.
The beep beep noise happens when I am sitting in the car, engine off and just open the door to get out. It has never done that before. It is also happening when I try to set the alarm and lock or open the doors using the fob.
The central locking switch on the dashboard doesn't lock any of the doors now, or the fuel filler. The remote control locks/unlocks the fuel filler cap but nothing else. The key in the drivers door locks the drivers door, but nothing else. The door guard lights which I understand are on the same micro switch as the door closed switch work correctly.
Sorry! It seems to have got into a bit of a mess!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Gill -
Thank you for your reply and further info there -
Im wondering if at this stage you have the Valet mode switch tripped - or a fault on it..
Do you have the valet key - its green if I recall Gill?
Rgds, MIKE......................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Umm.... I think I do have a green key somewhere! I can have a hunt round to see if I can find it, I wondered why it was a different colour!
I've had the car since it was six months old and I don't think I've ever used it!
I will have a hunt. What do I do when I find it?
Thanks again Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again..
Ok - when you find it.. use it in the drivers door.. operate the lock with that key turning it to the un lock position... This key cleverly works different to the others in the lock..
So try that Gill see if that resets the system.
IF not - then Im afraid its going to be a trip to the dealer - without that key or, if it doesn't work, they can connect on diag equipment to operate the system that way and reset it..
It does sound like thats whats gone amiss here - it does happen.
Again, let me know how you get on...
Best Rgds MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike

Can't seem to log in to answer you, but unfortunately I couldn't resolve anything, so will have to save up to visit the dealers.

Thanks for your help. I did complete the ratings.