Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 1999 XK8 and am having problems with the alarm. It

Customer Question

I have a 1999 XK8 and am having problems with the alarm. It keeps going off during the night so I am having to leave the car unlocked so as not to disturb my neighbours. I don't seem to have many problems with it during the day and the battery is okay so I know that's not the problem. This problem started a week past Monday when it was raining all day long and the alarm went off several times. It was okay during that night and from then on it is fine during the day come rain or shine but goes off around 2.30am. Can you help?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise.These always for some reason unknown, tend to go off in the night! The problem is usually down to a faulty or out of position bonnet switch - when the bonnet is closed, it closes the switch - but when they are faulty, it doesn't operate correctly.. and then the system thinks the bonnet is being opened -and hence sets the alarm off.So thats the first thing to check - you can just disconnect the switch - the wire from it - to stop it happening..or for test purposes even.Other known issues that will cause this is if the boot area light is staying on unbeknown to you - again, a switch issue.. and sometimes too the same with the glove box.. and / or under bonnet light, if fitted.The easiest way to check if its one of the lights as above , is to remove the bulbs for a 24 hr period -it it then stops, replace one at a time to narrow it down...till you find it, by way of the alarm sounding again. Again, its a switch issue again there.The other way to diagnose it is to have a plug in daignostic test done - that will quickly find the fault as the system logs fault codes - but to be honest if you work through as above, starting with the bonnet switch check, you will usually find and cure the fault.On occasion it can be one of the "door ajar" switches causing it too - but work through as above to get to the bottom of it.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.