Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I put about a half litre of petrol in my diesel xj. I tried

Customer Question

I put about a half litre of petrol in my diesel xj. I tried to fill it with diesel but it doesn't seem to want to let me. Is there a sensor that could be stopping it ?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.. Sorry to see you have had a delay.The hole / filer tube on your Xj is a different size slightly so it shouldn't have been possible to mistakenly add petrol - but it does happen. As such, there is every chance that the inside has been damaged by the fuel pump nozzle - there is as you say a sensor in there for the emission control etc ( Dpf system)It will have to be stripped and checked to see if that is what has actually happened but it does sound like it from what you have outlined - Usually a new filler tube will be needed in this case.. I really would suggest to have it to Independent Jag garage or dealer to have this looked at --it is a little hard to say without seeing it.You will need to consider too whether you should run the engine or not having added petrol.. weighing up how much of a ratio mix you have in the tank - if you have very little diesel , it should be drained first before running the engine-Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.