Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Have just bought an 02 Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Auto for £900,

Customer Question

Have just bought an 02 Jag X-Type 3.0 V6 Auto for £900, 87,000 miles. Unfortunately starting off in Drive the box is OK until about 15 mph, but then the drive is disconnected from the wheels - the engine just revs, but I don't go anywhere. The only way I can get down the road is to put the box into 2nd manually. It goes fine in this gear only.
Any ideas about the cause?
Thanks,
Steve XXXXXXX
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello Steve and Welcome.. My name is***** happy to help / advise.. Sorry to see you have had a wait. WIth this issue Steve, you dont mention any fault lights on at all - all this then points to a fault inside the transmission. They are somewhat complicated and it can be one of a few things - faults on the solonoids etc - but I think its likely to be a clutch system fault.. they have clutch bands - which work in a way much like a manual...ie, faulty = loss of drive.It COULD be just low fluid so check on that -- if you haven't already... To be honest though - If its not a fluid issue, you are going to need this looking at properely and I would strongly recommend to have a Auto Specialist look at for you - they have the toolery and the knowledge to cure such issues a lot cheaper than general garages etc.. So check on the fluid first -- see how you go with that - but if not, again, you are really best having it checked out as above -Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this.. I will be only on a little today due to other commitments but will always get back to you if needed.~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE