Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Got 2009 X type 2litre diesel. There is no turbo response until

Got 2009 X type 2litre diesel. There is no turbo response until 1750 rpm then off she goes. Is this normal ? I also run a 09 mondeo diesel same engine but its much more responsive. Actuator ? vnt ? egr ? or dare I say turbo fault.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please find an expert
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello this isn't right by 1750rpm the engine should be on boost and you should have plenty of powerso I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metalpipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If this is OK thencheck the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid onthe bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issuesAlso have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and watersolution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump /turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all -but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt Thanks for your reply to my Jag turbo problem. This week all turbo pipes have been checked and all OK and I forgot to add there is no black smoke. I also had the computer diagnosed no faults this I assume will cover injectors and actuator etc, The car came from a city home so it has been suggested it has probably not had a good thrashing for quite a while. The next opinion was because it can from a city its possible the Cat is blocked or the turbo is carboned up. Whew

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

yes its quite possible the cat is blocked up or the vanes on the turbo are stuck

you can check the cat condition by removing the oxygen sensor and view the cat brick for any signs of irregularity or melting

if this is OK then disconnect the actuator and try moving the vane arm by hand as it should move easily, if it doesn't then remove the exhaust downpipe from the turbo and flood the interior of the turbo with penertrating oil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Matt Thanks for that I will try all suggestions and keep you posted. Bill

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood Bill

just get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Matt I have rated your answer. The current state of play with the Jag is finding time to spare it to investigate cat/turbo. Everybody is baffled but at least we know what is NOT causing it. Bill