Mike
Mike, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

2009 XF Protfolio S 3.0D. Driving down motorway and kick-down

Customer Question

2009 XF Protfolio S 3.0D. Driving down motorway and kick-down engaged. Console displayed Gearbox Warning, and I lost all drive. Had to pull over to the hard sholder, and stop/restart engine. Drove again and repeated when kick-down engaged.
Stopped and started, but couldnt repeat it during that driving cycle.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise--
Before we progress - can you please tell me the mileage on the car...
Also - what is its service history like?
-- Rgds - MIKE....................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has 131,000 miles and full service history.thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply and info -I asked as I did because this can have a bearing on the root cause of your issues.The car while fully serviced, quite likely has never had its transmission fluid changed - The idea is that these transmissions are "sealed for life" - but experience shows - with all models , that changing the fluid and cleaning the internal filters is very prudent at circa 80k - ( and every 80k thereafter ) and this can seriously extend the life of the trans.Given now though that you had the symptoms you did - and the Fail safe ( gearbox fault warning light ) came on - this indicates that the TCM ( trans control module ) has seen a fault somewhere in the transmission systems and switched the light on to tell you - Losing all drive can have been either that the TCM invoked limp mode or, it was because of the actual fault itself - its hard to tell which at this point. Usually when this occurs, switching the ign off - and restarting will reset things and you can drive again.But your next step now needs to be to have a plug in diag test done on the TCM ( trans ) system.As the fail safe warn light came on, it will have logged fault codes on the TCMs fault memory - with the codes retrieved, you then have a direction to progress. Your fault can be as simple as a sensor / circuit / wire outside the trans..on the "control " side... or of course inside the trans.. These transmissions are never cheap on parts so it makes full sense to start with the fault code diagnosis and go from there. Once you have the codes you can let me know if you need more help -but any good garage with the right equipment ( ensure you tell them its a Trans fault - NOT engine )... will be able to go from there with the fault code.A lot of smaller garages do have the test equipment -but of course all dealers do if you cannot find a small type in your locale.So thats the way forward now.It could be too that it will fix your issues with a trans flush and fluid change / filter clean - Again - impossible to say at this point without the codes...but in any event -at that mileage - I would recommend to have that done as a "service" item - Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --Best Rgds, MIKE